on the bright side of the road

thoughts, photographs, poetry and prose from a musician in brooklyn, new york (via the very-much homesick louisiana). kristin diable (www.kristindiable.com)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Monday, April 23, 2007

Big Bill

It's Sunday evening and the sun is low.
Old blues songs on the speakers.
It's mellow. Feeling alright.

Found this video that I thought was pretty rad. It's
Big Bill Broonzy, one of my very favorite old-school
blues-men, shot in Belgium somewhere in the 50's, looking very
Hitchcock-esque.

Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPTfPykpDI


“When you write about me, please don’t say I’m a jazz musician. Don’t say
I’m a musician or a guitar player -- just write ‘Big Bill was a well-known
blues singer and player and has recorded 260 blues songs from 1925 up
till 1952; he was a happy man when he was drunk and playing with
women; he was liked by all the blues singers, some would get a little
jealous sometimes, but Bill would buy a bottle of whisky and they all
would start laughing and playing again.’” -Big Bill Broonzy

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home