on the bright side of the road

thoughts, photographs, poetry and prose from a musician in brooklyn, new york (via the very-much homesick louisiana). kristin diable (www.kristindiable.com)

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Dear Friend,

Dear Friend,

As I sit here alone, after days of little sleep, and impending disillusion that such misuse of the body typically evokes, I have been thinking about you. You and I, more specifically. I can’t help but wonder what pieces of our puzzle, our ever more intricate web of conversation, experience, warm hands on hands all build up to right this second. I could be in your thoughts just as easily as I could not exist at all. I wonder which it is, and I wonder what it one day will become.

Because you see, my friend, this skin that I have met you in, is so stifling sometimes. We get so accustomed to these fancies, the paradigms of proper conversation, standard course of action, we’re so set in our ways we don’t even realize it on an average day. And we can talk, we can provoke thought and conversation, and know that the company we’re in, is privileged and true. But my friend, I wonder what more lies just beneath. Just slightly beneath where we’ve already gone, past the clean glistening plastic honey encasement of this human form, just a slight fracture on the unwilling skin and structure, to leak even the slightest ray of light, of the embers that flee from their confinement like school children on recess in an autumn afternoon. Just a slither of it, that place, that substance which created you, the place that can siphon all the atoms, and chemicals, and inexorably tied soul from one heart directly to the other. The real, the truth that would tie you to altruistic ties with a friend for life. Where faith and truth are kind, and consistency of kindness and dependability as a friend is never questioned. No hidden agendas, or false desires, just an eternal band-aid on your soul that’ll always be there to keep the fracture from destroying you. Pure Love will now allow for anything less. And Pure Love is a nearly extinct commodity.


I would like to live with every one of my friends in that place. And I try. But even friends will rip the bandage off, without even trying. The good heart that gives, will just as soon be trampled on, as it will be cradled. And it’s paralyzing.

Paralyzing to know the likelihood of such vulnerability and honesty, yet letting the fracture bleed, every time you find a prospect worthy of it (which of course, is not often).
I have very few friends who are wholesome and true, through and through. Friends who treasure this blessed fracture, and revel in the lifeline within such ties.

So, friend, I am thinking of you in highest regards and wondering which one of these friends you will one day become. We should never be able to know at present, for it is time, the ever-towering monument of ultimate truth, that will enlighten us eventually.

I have been experimenting with operations in truth. In experimenting with your human confines to seek what is true to you, what seems inexplicably right for you. You can seek whatever piques your curiosity or desire for experience, anything at all, just as long as your intentions are honest to anyone else they may affect, and of course, to yourself. When you place such faith in truth, no matter how terrifying questioning the long ago constructed gates and barriers of conditioned living, and a conditioned, biased, right vs. wrong, no matter how futile it may seem, the discoveries you will uncover are such enlightening nuggets of vibrance and jubilation, you’ll never again think twice about sticking to your new path of truth.

And when you do, you have to defend yourself as you walk down it, from all the ones who haven’t been fortunate enough yet to be graced with so much love and good blessings. They will eat you alive if you let them. And because you can no longer see evil, since it does not exist to you, it is nearly impossible to recognize these spies and assassins. It’s only once they have been invited in for tea and a place to rest on your couch, that you can see the truths or mistruths of another human, another soul.

And so my friend, I hope you stay here in good company. For future cups of tea, conversation, and love. I don’t expect anything but what the day provides, but I have hope and faith in something great. So please hang on, please remember these things. The rewards for us both could be so sublime. If you’ll just be kind, I will promise to try and always do the same.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very pretty and writing like that opens up my soul on this soulless monday a little over a month after you committed these words to apple keys as read this for the first time during an almost accidental stroll by this here journal

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home